I currently teach elementary music K-5 and brass instruments privately. I love elementary music because I help children learn about music through the experience of actually playing, singing and movement together as a group. I focus on John Feierabend’s concepts of Tuneful, Beatful and Artful. I have created a curriculum for the music program that uses a combination of Orff, Kodaly principles with singing, dancing, recorders, hand drums, marimba / xylophones. To me, teaching elementary school music is about music, not preparation for a performance.
Music started for me in the second grade with the piano, church choirs, then the trumpet in junior high and high school – marching band, jazz band and pit orchestra for musicals. I studied instrumental music education at Baylor University in Waco, Texas and trumpet was my instrument.
For over 28 years, I have successfully taught many instrumental music students through public school band programs, and in elementary music programs. I also teach privately in my home studio.
And I really like kayaking!
- From Cincinnati, Ohio
- Walnut Hills High School, Cincinnati, Ohio – Graduate / Alumni
- BME Baylor University – Instrumental Music Education
- Cypress-Fairbanks ISD Band Director in middle schools
- Hempstead ISD Music Specialist 2006 to 2015
- Currently teaching as a Music Specialist at Westwood Elementary, Spring Branch ISD
- All Level Music Teaching Certificate – Texas
- Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia – member
- Texas Music Educators Association – member